Establishment of a Novel R&D Center for Bio-devices Based on Bio-chips
Deadline for Submission:10/09/2023
Israel Innovation Authority published a call for proposals for establishment of a novel R&D center for bio-devices based on bio-chips. The center will have dedicated equipment and multidisciplinary personnel to provide R&D services to Israeli industry and/or academic research institutes thus supporting the stages of research, development, planning, prototyping, validation, etc.
This Call for Proposal is executed in accordance with the Israel Innovation Authority’s R&D Infrastructure Program.
Please notice, the Hebrew version of this Call for Proposals is the final and legally binding version.
- Bio-device (BD) – the Bio-chip itself or a device that can include several components (such as bio-chip/s, mechanical elements, or passive elements) that, combined, can provide different capabilities. It is often used to interact with biological samples (cells, proteins, DNA, etc.) to perform diverse tasks such as DNA sequencing, drug development, diagnosis and monitoring of biological processes, etc.
- Bio-chip (BCP) – a component that combines various functional elements of electronics and biology and is a versatile platform for performing various functionalities, experiments, or applications in a compact and efficient manner.
- Bio-convergence – a technological field that combines biologic based methods, ideas, or technologies, in conjunction with knowledge and technologies from other fields, such as engineering, physics, computer science, or mathematics. The output of these combinations will be interdisciplinary. Its applications affect many fields, including health, environment, energy, food, computation, and more.
The field of bio-convergence in general and bio-devices (BD) based on bio-chips (BCP) (AKA BD&BCP) in particular, is challenging due to the complexity and variety of domains required to carry out the R&D in this unique field. Therefore, the Israel Innovation Authority wishes to promote the establishment of a Novel R&D center(s) for BD based on BCP.
Examples of applications of such bio devices can include: environmental diagnostic sensors, smart implants for humans or animals intended for treatment and/or diagnostics, lab on a chip etc.
The center(s) can include equipment such as chip manufacturing infrastructure, software tools, analysis equipment, wet labs, bioprinting infrastructure etc. which will enable research, development, and planning services, prototyping, validation, and more of the Bio-devices.
Following the above, among the objectives of this Call for proposals are:
- Providing R&D services by a team of expert personnel, helping and accelerating the development process. Thus, saving time and money, for the industrial corporations which develop BD based on BCP. The above team can operate with their internal unique equipment and knowledge and/or combined with the capabilities of strategic collaborations with other entities from Israel or globally, that complement the applicant’s capabilities.
- Providing production capabilities for prototypes and small series based on the applicant’s infrastructure (equipment, etc.) and/or based on creating strategic collaborations with other entities from Israel or globally, that complement the applicant’s capabilities.
- Developing unique knowledge and providing solutions, which in its turn, will enable industrial corporations, research institutions, or other entities to be international leaders in their domain.
- Carrying out training and human capital development for providing R&D services to industrial corporations and research institutes.
Below are examples for R&D services that will be provided by the center:
- Research, development and designing – such as research, development, consulting, design of the electronic elements of the bio-chip, design of the electronic-biologic interface, design of diagnostic and monitoring devices for biological processes, designs of labs-on-a-chip.As described above there are various applications of the developed products such as drug development processes, environmental sensors (for example to monitor bacteria or gases), monitoring processes in the human body or animals, diagnostic and treatment of the human body (for example controlled and targeted release of drugs and/or while measuring the effect of the medical therapy).
Examples of personnel/equipment that will enable the above:
- Experts in the fields of hardware, software, materials, data, biology, chemistry, and hardware-biology/chemistry/materials interfaces.
- Software for planning and simulation tools of the BD based on BCP components on their various aspects.
- Prototype production – for example, production of bio-chips based on semiconductor technologies which will be used as a component of the bio device; production of components of the bio device system such as microfluidic devices; production of optical components or production of biological components of the bio-chip. The production technologies selected for the process should be those which will allow repeatability and the production of large-scale series in the mass production phase.Examples of personnel/equipment which will enable the above:
- Experts in various fields of engineering and experts to operate the equipment and processes.
- Clean rooms, 3D printers, and biological printing (using various materials including biomaterials), equipment for mechanical work, chemical laboratory, biological laboratory, imaging equipment, and electronic testing equipment.
- Verification and validation – for example: performing tests required to examine the performance of the product in various relevant aspects (mechanical tests, shelf life, environmental etc.). This step will allow the product to be pre-evaluated and adjusted to meet regulatory standards.An example of personnel/equipment which will enable the above:
- Experts in planning testing methods and processes, experts in quality assurance in various fields.
- Laboratories and test equipment suitable for various technological fields (hardware, chemistry, biology, mechanics, etc.).
- Collaborative laboratories or dedicated laboratories – A laboratory containing valuable equipment that would allow examination of various aspects of the product’s functionality, integration of components, unique analysis of the components produced (for example, the composition of materials, biological activity). Or can expand its equipment and services following the requirements of a specific customer.An example of personnel/equipment that will enable the provision of the above:
- Potential space for physical expansion of the infrastructure
In an overall view of the infrastructure and services providing, the infrastructure can also include a CEO and dedicated Business Development manager.
The total approved budget for all applications that will be approved under this procedure will be up to 113 million NIS, which will be financed at a grant rate of 55% or 66% of the expenses of the approved budget.
- Join our webinar to learn and hear more details prior to submission – Webinar will take place on July 25, 2023 at 15:00 Israel time – to register, click here.
- Applications can be submitted until 10.09.2023 at 12:00 noon (Israel Time). Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted.
- Information regarding the manner to submit the application and the forms to be attached appear in detail in Infrastructure Program and R&D Equipment Page in Hebrew.
- Please note, the formal documents describing the terms & conditions as well as the application forms are in Hebrew (available on the Hebrew site version). Nevertheless, you can submit the application in English within the Hebrew form.